Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sweeney Todd: The Disappointment of Fleet Street



Of course, I haven't forgotten this blog. I've just been busy, that's all. Other than writing, I've gotten around to seeing a couple of movies, one of them was the very anticipated Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Based on the Stephen Sondheim musical. You gotta love that, right? Because everybody loves Tim Burton, it's mandatory actually. Everybody loves Johnny Depp, that's mandatory too. Actually I think it's mandatory to want to have sex with him. And everybody loves Alan Rickman, though I don't believe that's mandatory yet. We're getting there though.

These people aren't allowed to make mistakes, and we apparently easily forget the ones they have (Planet of the Apes, anyone? Shame on you Tim!). Now, I have to admit, Sweeney Tood was a good movie. Not their greatest work, by far, it was a pretty standard deald. Everything looked like what you would expect it would look like when Tim Burton is comfortable with what he's doing. Which also means, no crazy, or great ideas, like in Beetlejuice or Batman. The thing is, and now I'm getting closer to a point I promise, is that its a musical about a brutal murderer and his manipulative accomplice. How can you go wrong? I love musicals, and I really don't mind that the actors arent "great singers" as some have complained. I mind though, that it's a poor musical. Not because of Burton or the others, but because the original Sondheim-musical is extraordinarly tame for the topic. And while Burton saves it with evoking images, and a bloodfest that pust Dario Argento to shame, the music simply doesn't really match it.

But hey, I'm still willing to forget. I'm still not disappointed. It's still a good movie.

But then... the travesty, the disappointment. Seriously folks. You have Anthony Stewart Head on set, you've announced he's going to be in the movie - and then you leave him with one single shot and a simple line? Where's the singing? Now, I may be overreacting a bit here, but I'm a huge Anthony Stewart Head fan, and not because of his role in that Buffy-thingy, but because he's a lovelt british actor with style and a great singing voice. An entertainer. And one of my favourite recordings is of this man singing Sweet Transvestite on Dark Refrains - Rocky Horror Disco Show.

And when I see him in Sweeney Todd, if only for just a second, I expect to hear him singing. Not just fade away into the overall scenery.

Seriously folks, I was disappointed.

Other than that, it was good.

No comments: